Most health nuts like me have their own muesli or granola recipe. This is mine. I like to eat regularly throughout the day to keep my metabolism working well, and trust me I am not a happy lady when I get hangry (angry-hungry). Rest assured when I tell you that this recipe really will give you energy and a feeling of fullness without it being high in sugar and fats. It’s crunchy, which is crucial, and I use this muesli mix for a number of recipes or just snack on it when I need some energy throughout the day.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup bran flakes
- 1 cup puffed brown rice
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup roughly chopped almonds
- 3 heaped tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons honey or rice malt syrup
- ½ cup pepitas
- ½ cup craisins (dried cranberries)
Cooking steps: Toasted Muesli
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Heat the coconut oil and honey or rice malt syrup for 30 seconds in the microwave so it becomes syrupy.
- In a very large bowl mix all of the ingredients together including the syrupy mixture. Ensure that all of the dry ingredients have been moistened by the syrup.
- Place the muesli mix on a lined baking tray. Do this in 2-3 batches so the muesli can toast evenly.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until lightly toasted and then give the muesli a good stir through and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
- Once the muesli is toasted remove from the oven and let it cool and it will become even crunchier.
Oats are a low calorie and low GI food that releases energy into your body at a steady rate, which leaves you feeling fuller for longer. They are packed with vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, potassium, magnesium and much more. Not only are they a cheap ingredient, but because they are high in fibre oats can also help keep your cholesterol levels low and aide in healthy digestion.
* You can store this muesli in an airtight container for up to 2-3 weeks. For serving suggestions and more tips, view recipe at The Loving Cook.com.au.
1,224 total views, 1 views today